Total Pageviews

Friday, December 2, 2011

Do as I say, not as I do...

Getting through the teenage years with my son was not an easy task!

I've said numerous times - he really made me earn my mommy stripes!

Having not been a stellar teen myself, I guess this is my payback.  My son, however - not as good at getting away with things as his momma was....  I told him, "Boy, don't you realize that I've been there, done that AND I never got caught???  I know your tricks before you try to pull them on me."  I've needed to proved myself on this a few times over...

He once snuck out his bedroom window in the middle of the night to hang out with his friends...  Psst, really?  I did that & got back in without waking anyone from the second floor when I was that age.  So what did mommy do??  I went right into his room & locked his bedroom window, causing him to HAVE to ring the doorbell to get back in when he came home.  SNAGGED!

He tried to drink & smoke with his buddies...  Again...I know what it smells like.  I know how drunk kids act...  Really??  Do you really think that's going to fly by me without notice??

He finally got used to the fact that he wasn't going to be able to blow things by me so easily.  Some things I let happen, just because he needed to learn on his own - but for the most part he knew what I expected & wouldn't tolerate.  It never stopped him from trying - but that's a teenager for ya!

I've always been really honest with my son.  Maybe a good thing, maybe not... Only time will tell.  I do know for sure that if he ever has a major problem, he'll never be afraid to come to me.  He may expect me to be Saint Mom, but he knows that I'm not & that's Ok.  We are ALL a work in progress.

I reflect back on these things now, as my boy is getting ready to move on to the next phase of his life.  In a matter of less than a few weeks, he will be leaving for boot camp for the U.S. Navy.

No more peeking in while he's sleeping, just to watch him sleep.  He's a big boy now & I am so incredibly proud.

It will be hard for me to have that missing spot at the dinner table, but I know that I've done the best I can pushing him to be all that he can be & I know he's got so much more!

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!