Friday, October 26, 2012
Things I've learned from hurricanes past....
The perfect storm of absolute crap arriving during a full moon, high tide along side another storm front... whatever it is they're spouting. I have this mental picture of all the weather guys rubbing their hands together watching their little weather stations going, "oh boy, oh boy, oh boy ... here she comes."
I'm more pissed that this whole storm may mess with Halloween for the kids - AGAIN - second year in a row!
Storm-schmorm. To me - it's like that giant raccoon going through your garbage. You know he's there, and you can't get it to leave. So you stay the heck away until it's done & you know you're going to have a mess to clean up afterward.
I've done this storm bit before...Hurricane Hugo, my brother was home on leave & I was out partying with my friends. I watched Hurricane Floyd through my window as it rapidly brought down trees and turned my garage / basement into "a river runs through it". Hurricane Irene kept me out of work for a few days and just made a mess. It's weather....it is what it is!
For those closer to the coastline - well, we're talking a whole lotta trouble. Be safe!
My words of wisdom are short, sweet and to the point.
Ready for some very blunt Jenn??
1. Don't be dumb. Surfing in a hurricane is stupid.
4. Put gas in your vehicle. YES - fill 'er up! Pumps run on electricity. If the electric is out - as their predicting for a few weeks - you won't be able to get gas in your vehicle. A half tank or quarter tank are not enough. Go, do it now.
5. Propane. If you have an electric stove - you're bummin' for a meal, aren't you?? Bring your grill into someplace WELL VENTILATED (let's not blow up our homes, m'kay?) If you have an enclosed porch - FABULOUS. Garage, whatever... put it there. It'll come in handy if you want to eat. Micky D's will probably be closed, as will the rest of the planet.
6. When they tell you EMERGENCY VEHICLES ONLY on the road... please listen! If it's come to that point, there is usually a good reason to listen.
7. Candles, flash lights, battery operated lanterns, board games, charge the iPod, iPhone, DS, Kindle, Nook - whatever... Get 'em all ready. Your kids WILL be bored. If you want to survive the day, weekend - Just do it!
8. That handy dandy generator in the garage (hint, hint, honey) that looks really pretty? Let's hook that bad boy up, shall we??
9. Oh..and if you hadn't picked up on it earlier... DON'T BE DUMB!
Be prepared for the stupid stuff that you don't really think of.
I hesitate to really start tearing up the storm nuts, because last storm - well, people died & lost their homes and I felt really bad. I wish no harm on anyone - and wish anyone in this storm's path safety.
More than anything else, stay safe!
Enjoy the weekend & if it looks bad - just stay in.