Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Why can't we all just get along?

Our family camps.  In a camper, of course...  My tenting days are longggg over...

When we first got our camper, we had friends who also camped regularly.  They also had small children, so camping together was easy & fun.  The kids did their thing, we did our thing & everyone was happy.

They've since SOLD THEIR CAMPER on us (had to throw that in there), but we've forgiven them and love them anyway.  They were also foster parents, who had the opportunity to adopt their precious little angels.

One specific camping trip, it rained and we weren't as prepared as we ought to be.  Heather and I set out, with her littlest in tow - in the middle of bumble butt nowhere, to find a Walmart where we could buy an E-Z Up.

So here we are traipsing through Walmart, with her little guy in the cart.  Killing time, really.  She went in one direction and I went in the other with her little guy.  Suddenly, I noticed that I was getting really ugly looks from some of the other patrons.  I couldn't figure out what was going on...  I mean yeah, we were camping - but I did shower.  I ignored it and moved on.  WTH?

When I found Heather, I mentioned to her that people were giving me dirty looks - were my boobs hanging out, was I dirty, did I smell??  What??  Then she told me she gets that all the time.  I still didn't get it right away, then it hit me... people were giving me dirty looks because I was a white woman pushing around a black baby.  REALLY people???  REALLY???  I was horrified!  He's the most beautiful, kind heart and loving little boy you'd ever met.  You can't help but fall in love with this kid!  I couldn't get over it!
I could be mistaken - but I thought we were in the millennium not 1960 anything...  I can't believe that people are still so ignorant and hateful.  Especially when a child is involved!

So, being the perpetual ball buster that I am, I did the only thing that I could think of to give them something more to look at & talk about...  I grabbed Heather's arm and pretended to be her wife.  I put my head on her shoulder & looked at her with love eyes.  We chatted on & talked about what a blessing our son was to be sure those ignorant people got a good ear full!  It really was entirely too much & overly cheesy - no one acts like that - but these ignorant folks certainly took the bait.  I swear I wanted to give them the one finger salute, I was so annoyed - but why stoop to their level.

I hope no one is offended by my candor.  If you've been reading long enough, you should expect blunt from me.

What I'm trying to say here is that people are people.  It doesn't matter what size, shape, color, religion, sexual preference, whatever!  It's about acceptance!

As I've said before, please allow me to turn that little mirror of judgement around so you could see yourself better...

Can't we all just get along??

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this!!!! Excellent, Jenn!!! I would have handled it the same way. :) Lisa Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would like to think that more people have love in there heart.

    but so many behaviors point to fear!

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!