Total Pageviews

Monday, July 21, 2014

Yeah, I'm from Jersey.

Admittedly, this post may not portray me in the very best light.  I can't say this is ALWAYS me, but it is definitely me quite a bit of the time.  It's my Jersey.  Not all of us are Jersey impatient.  I am most definitely impatient!  I want it, and I want it NOW!

Before anyone gets all Jersey defensive on me...

I'm a Jersey girl.  I'm a North Jersey girl.
I've been Jersey all my life.
I am not great at tact.  If I think it, I speak it.
I say what I have to say - then I'm done.
I think you should be done with it too.
Unless you don't agree.
Then we'll tawk more.

When I want it, I want it NOW!

I don't think I'm all that much different than other Jersey folk. We have a way that only other Jersey-ian's - Jersey'ites get.

You know what I'm tawkin' about?

Yes, I say tawk, cawfee and dawg.
I'm Jersey.
It's not an accent.
It's how I tawk.  :)

Being on vacation in Massachusetts I made some observations.
One of them is that people in other places aren't like us.

I think I'm starting to get why people in other regions don't get me, and maybe they don't get some of you other Jersey folks either.


Most of my life, I was under the impression that I was a super nice person.

No, I don't take any crap - but I try hard to be a good person, helpful & kind, do things for others, give a smile if you don't have one and be loyal and true.  If I have it and you need it, please take it.  I'll get another.

I may not be the "too nice" I'd been accused of when I was younger.  I've jaded with age - but I still think I'm OK.

On a regional note, I am probably correct.  By the standards of other states, maybe not so much.  I've even been referred to as "abrasive" at one time.  I don't see it???

We just got back from vacation in Massachusetts.  Salem, Boston, Lexington, Concord & Plymouth. Very cool, historical trip.
Wicked Pissah!

I totally recommend this type of vacation!
Especially if you're an American History geek like I am.
(I'll blog about it another time.)


People in that region are super nice, super friendly and super chatty.  At least this was my experience.  I have nothing but nice things to say about the attitudes of the people of MA.

Here is where the Jersey attitude doesn't quite fit...

I am from Jersey.  When I am looking for information.  Please just give me the information.  I don't need a conversation.  I don't want to hear in 20 minutes what can be told to me in 3 minutes or less.  I'm from Jersey.
I don't have a ton of patience.  I'm in a hurry.  Always.  Even on vacation.
I have a schedule and I plan on sticking to it.  I'm used to things being at my disposal.  I'm used to people hurrying me along and getting me where I'm going quickly.  They don't want to talk to me any longer than I want to talk to them.  This is what I'm used to.  I get this mentality.  I especially don't want a conversation at 7 am, before I've had all my coffee.  Please understand.  You're nice and all, but...

Wow, that sounds awful.  Doesn't it?  It probably is, um.... abrasive.  eek


I'm actually not nearly as harsh as that all sounded, but sadly - that's not too far from the truth.  Well that and the fact that you lose me after the first 3 1/2 minutes & I go into deer in the headlights mode.  All excessive talk is wasted on me.  I've heard nothing.

Easy there people...  I'm not generalizing here.  This is my issue.  (but I know some of you other Jersey folks get what I'm saying.)

So on this vacation, we went out to eat, every day, almost every meal.  I didn't rent a condo or have any desire to cook.  I was on vacation.  I wanted to be served & have the short one's food pre-cut for her.  I wanted things done for me.  I wanted to relax.  "Relax" is clearly relative.

Every where we went, we waited.
I would never say the service was poor, because it was awesome every where we went.  Food was great, people were friendly, etc.  It's just in this area - the NY/NJ Metro area - things are FAST. When you go for a meal, they want you fed, up, out and gone so the next person can sit and eat.  It's not like that every other place in the country.  That is what we are used to.

Anyway....

When we went someplace where the waitress was totally "on it" - and I mean super fast sit us, serve us, get us fed and out "on it" - I appreciated the amazing service.  I felt the immediate need to compliment her on her rock star service.


I mentally wondered if she was originally from the NY/NJ area because unlike our prior servers, she was extra quick.

A beer and a half in, that thought wandered out of my mouth....
and I proceeded to ask her if she was always from that particular area, 
because her service was so amazingly quick and efficient.  

Ug, awesome.

I could immediately tell by the the look on her face that she didn't hear my intended "Your service was EXCELLENT.  You are a rock star.  Thank you!"

Instead she may have heard something more like, "Wow, the people around here are really friggin' lazy.  Thank you for being one of the only people around here who actually work."


And so goes another chapter in the life of "Jenn, shut the hell up - will ya?"  Massachusetts version.

I really was trying to compliment her.

Mercy on the Jersey girl, huh?

Another illustration of why people in other states look at "you" like they've smelled something funny when you say you're from Jersey.

I meant well, REALLY.
It's just that somewhere between what it sounded like in my head, and what came out of my mouth got completely lost and all twisty.

Or maybe that's just me.

Thank you for reading my blog!!

~Jenn

 Follow my blog with Bloglovin'

1 comment:

  1. If slow friendly service grinds your gears, you just might be from Jersey.

    I get it and I love it! Jersey Girls rule!

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!