Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Watch your words....

The road to hell is paved with good intentions....

Wow, no kidding!

I try to do good on my blog and my page, but ya know what?  I'm human.  I step in it from time to time and I totally blow it.

I feel that I totally blew it on my page yesterday by posting something... well, not so nice.

I didn't need anyone to point my sin out to me... My conscience took fabulous care of that for me.

The thing I didn't consider at the time is the thing I try so hard to convey - words are powerful.  No matter if they are spoken words or written. Yesterday they were written words.

Yesterday, I saw a mom being soooo incredibly hurtful and publicly mean to her child that I took that in and mentally made that her full picture.  Her character.

Have you ever seen the movie, Shallow Hal?  He only sees inner beauty, therefore when he saw someone with a beautiful heart, he saw that woman as society's view of a beautiful woman.  If they were mean, he saw them as horrid & ugly.  This is how I saw this woman.  Horrid & ugly.

I looked her up and down, I saw ugly.  I saw a crying child trying to do good and impress her mom and I saw a mom who couldn't be pleased.

At that moment, I didn't care if she'd had a bad day, if she had other stuff going on - I only saw the outside.  On that, I chose to write a negative remark on my Facebook page.

True, she doesn't know me.  She doesn't know my page and if she did, she may not know I was talking about her.

None of that mattered to me.  What mattered to me is that I took in what I saw and acted upon it.  I was no better than she.

I saw her mean and ugly and I perpetuated it with my own personal mean and ugly.

I don't know what was going on to make her so mean that day - and until now - no one knew the full picture behind my comment.

That doesn't give me a pass.

What I and we all need to remember is that most people only see what's on the surface.  We see the mean and the ugly, not the pain or anger under the surface that may be creating the ick.

True -- she may just be a mean spirited human.

But how will people think of me after what I had to say?

It matters.

Watch your words.

Have a wonderful day and as always...
Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn


3 comments:

  1. I've been in similar situations; once at the store during christmas time a kid was wanting to pick out somthing for her teacher, the Mom was very critical of the kids choice, picked up another item and said, "here we'll get this instead." I was critical in my thoughts but more importantly later more thoughtful about it when faced with similar situations with my own kids. It makes me very mindful of the way I treat others; including my children. I think your message is two-fold... not only do our words matter, from all accounts, but so do our actions. Adults are watching... our kids are watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usually when someone acts mean and ugly they are mean and ugly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really give a rat's ass what the woman's day was like. There is NO excuse to be mean to a child that is trying so hard to please. I take personal offense to anyone that defends a person that does this. I would call my own daughter out on the carpet if I ever saw her do it. It's personal to me. Very personal.

    If the child is throwing a hissy fit and mommy finally loses is a bit, I can forgive and understand. but to be evil to a child of any age who is trying to please.. is unforgivable. No excuse accepted.

    I know it's not the way you feel, but like I said,, this is personal to me.

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!