Total Pageviews

Friday, February 22, 2013

Sheesh, How close do you think that bucket is???

A month or so ago I was having a conversation with my son.

He's in the Navy and on the other side of the country now, so when we talk - we talk for a while and we talk about everything / anything.  During one particular conversation we somehow got onto the subject of the things I wanted to do in my life before I died.

Ya know, my bucket list.

I chattered on about silliness and then I told him that I really wanted to go sky diving.  He laughed at me and told me I was nuts.  Told me that I'd have a heart attack on the way down - and basically made fun of me.  It's all in good fun!  I laughed too.

A few weeks later, he called me and said, "Guess what, mom... When you come here - we're going sky diving!  I made reservations."  For a moment, I was shocked and a little nervous.  The only thing I could think of to say was, "How close do you think that bucket IS?"


I accepted the idea, begrudgingly - and then I heard of the death of my friend.  I'm not that old.  I'm only...  Well, I'm still young!  Mentally, I'm even younger.  The point is, just because your sick doesn't mean you're going to die soon and just because you aren't doesn't mean you're not.

None of us know how close that bucket is.

None of us should be saying no to really great opportunities, to really great chances that come by once in a life time.  Yet we do, don't we?  All the time.  Sometimes without even picking up on it - we say no.  No thanks. Not this time, next time.  It's OK you go...  Should we be?  Saying no, that is?  Should we be waiting for the next time to come along to do something cool?  What IF there is NO next time?


We all work hard.  Well, most of us do - in one way or another.
We go on daily, going out to work for or toward something, while letting the something's slip by.

My friend who passed was a single guy.  Much easier for him to just get up and go.  Responsible only to and for himself, mostly - but he did things as often as possible.

We can do that, you know.  Do the things.  Yes, as a family person - a momma or dad, you need to maneuver things around a bit - but it can be done.  Things can be seen.  Things can be done.  It is possible AND worth it.

Did I go sky diving in San Diego?  Well, no I didn't.  The flu bug took hold of me and it wasn't the time.  I did, walk to the edge of Sunset Cliffs and blow kisses to the Atlantic Pacific (bahaha, thanks, Joe) and smile as old memories rolled off onto the tide.  I walked La Jolla and Breaker beach.  I saw the sites.

I did and saw all that was possible to do and see in a time span of less than 48 hours.  With my son by my side.

I made memories.  I did, I saw and I lived.

When it comes down to it - does sitting in your house, in front of the boob tube enhance your life?  Does it give you all the ahhhh moments you're hoping for before that big day comes?  Or are you looking at the beauty from the other side of a window?

Go out...put on your jacket and roll around in the snow.  Walk the beach in your bare feet & dance in the rain.  Stand under a water fall in Costa Rica and horseback ride on a beach.

That bucket could be anywhere.

L.I.V.E

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn


6 comments:

  1. At my age, the only thing on my bucket list is not to kick it!

    Wow can you blow a kiss! From San Diego all the way to the Atlantic. (sorry, couldn't resist.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bahahahaha! Thanks, Cranky!! (I fixed it) See what happens when you grow up with one ocean & try to reference another... Blonde moment for sure!!

      Delete
  2. Hiii! Im just swinging by from the TGIF blog hop & followed your blog! (YAYYY) Hope to see you on my side of the blog as well <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true and so beautiful! thanks Jenn! I love the Atlantic too but then again I guess I need to put the Pacific on my bucket list, never been that far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't really haven't thought about my bucket list. I know sky diving will not be on that list. I can't even handle roller coasters. Hmm.. Now you have me thinking tho. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your blog i think having a bucket list is an awesome thing i have to say i can cross one thing off my list when my husband was in the army we were able to be stationed in germany. wow skydiving i dont think i have the guts to do that but god luck lol

    ReplyDelete

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!