Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Bahamas...

To keep up with my vacation blogging - even though it's a more than a week beyond...

Let me talk a little about my visit to the Bahamas.  Before I go on - I'm not a huge fan of the Bahamas (nothing personal, it's just been done out for me) but everyone else wanted to go there, so I caved.  We've already done Paradise Island & Atlantis, etc.  Cool - but whatever.

This time, I wanted to see Nassau & chose to do the Forts & Junkanoo Discovery Tour.  This tour looks much better on the website...

Firstly, it is so incredibly sad to see how poor these people are, yet they continue to be incredibly happy & festive.  I find that to be so awesome.

Junkanoo is way cool!  Simple, but way cool!!  I absolutely loved learning that part of the Bahamian culture (I'm a nerd that way).  The woman who did the tour was so upbeat - it was really a fun little stop.
http://www.geographia.com/bahamas/junkanoo.htm

That, I'll have to admit was the highlight of the tour for me.

The forts, etc are not kept up for tours (in my opinion) and the tour drivers rush you from stop to stop - they run you through this fort & if you're not back at the bus quickly (and I mean quickly) the driver leaves.  2nd stop - he left 4 people behind.  That was sort of annoying - I did want to shop a bit, but I knew I'd go back to the markets.

The recent hurricanes that hit the island definitely took it's toll on the locals.  Because the roads were under repair we took a lot of back roads through residential areas - it's just so sad for the people.

At first, I was a little annoyed by the price of our "tour" but my only hope is that Disney does kick over a good portion to the local folks on the island that do these tours.

We had fantastic time & always make our own fun & bring it with us.

Have a fun day!

Thank you for reading my blog!

~Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Posting via
http://mydailyjenn-ism.blogspot.com/
Thank you for checking it out!